Recently I wanted to connect to one of the intranet sites of IIT Madras from my home. It required me to setup a VPN connection to IITM’s internal network. Googling around, led me to this page. Being skeptical of the promptness of reply by going through the channels of a Faculty Advisor, I decided to search a bit more and some youtube comment led me to the credentials required for the VPN connection.So setting up a connection was a child’s play once I got all the credentials. Go through the following steps to setup a VPN connection to IIT Madras’s internal network on a Mac :
- Go to System Preferences -> Network.
- Click on the “+” Button to add a new connection.
- A drop down menu would appear. Select VPN for Interface and select Cisco IPSec for VPN Type. You may enter anything you like for Service Name. Then hit Create.
- Enter 18.104.22.168 for Server Address. You can anything for account name now. Note : While authenticating your VPN Connection, you will be required to give your LDAP username as account name.
- After filling in the two input boxes, click on Authentication Settings to add the Machine Authentication details i.e. Shared Secret Key and Group Name. Enter IITM_VPN for Group Name and I1tmC0nnect for Shared Secret Key. In the end, hit OK.
- We are almost there. Just click Connect and then hit Apply.
- You will be greeted by a VPN Connection pop asking you to authenticate yourself. Add your LDAP username as Account Name and LDAP password as Password. Then hit OK.
- And voila, sweet success. Now you are ready to go. Just fire up your favourite browser (or Firefox, incase of workflow 😛 ) and test it out.